It’s no secret we are fans of the West End–it’s got a lot of history, great buildings, and parks. So we were excited to hear about the West of Ninth Beautification Run/Walk hosted by the Teen Leadership Council. It’s a great opportunity to walk through (or run) and take a good look at what this neighborhood has [...]
This building has had a few lives in its 124 year existence. Constructed in 1890, it started as the Louisville Normal School. When the Normal School moved to East Broadway in 1916, the school was renamed Hiram Roberts school after a former principal of the Normal School. Here are some boys taking a cooking [...]
There is a whole world of railroad historians out there who could talk for hours on any and all railroad related topics far better than we could here. We’ll just stick to why we find this photo so interesting; most everything in this photo is gone. The Illinois Central Railroad roundhouse was at 13th [...]
STASH-Some Things Are Still Here!
Lucky us, this beautiful church stands today at the corner of 11th and West Muhammad Ali Blvd. Just about the only thing that has changed is the front windows! The finials are still there too. Perhaps the bright red color of the doors is different now (hard to tell in [...]
This grand ‘little’ house sat at 1118 S. 2nd Street. The Archbishop John Floersh resided here for a while. This photograph was taken in 1939. We’re not sure why or when this was torn down but today there stands a large grey concrete-looking building, the William R. Pettigrew Christian Activities Building. And a parking lot.
We have the opportunity and pleasure to show a few photos from the collection of Mr. Erdley from Louisville. His Great Uncle was a photographer back in the day and captured a few street scenes along the way. This is one from the 1937 Flood at the intersection of W. Kentucky and 28th St:
We’re going to keep it simple on this first MASHüp Monday of the New Year. This building is pretty infamous–and we think it’s amazing the signs are still present.
The old photograph is from the University of Louisville’s Photographic archives and was taken in 1937.
And then we found this one taken in 1928: